Provide efficient and effective need based extension services to farming community and other needy people for optimum utilization of resources to achieve an equitable sustainable agriculture development and commercial farming for sound socio-economic development of the province.
- Support and facilitate to increase the extent of cultivation in the abandoned paddy land 67752 Ac and high land 19222 Ac at the end of Yala 2013.
- Promote appropriate modern and indigenous technologies among farming population to increase productivity and improve quality of produce in sustainable manner in normal paddy land 99642 ha and high land 67726 ha.
- Introduce appropriate new crops and varieties in the province.
- Create livelihood for farming community and increase their income.
- Increase domestic agricultural production and ensure the food and nutrient security of the farming and general population.
- Encourage farming community to embark on crop production in line with national food requirement and reduce import of food items.
- Facilitate and support farming community to embark on crop production towards export market.
- Promote adoption of value added supply chains in agricultural sector.
- Promote adoption of value addition activities at cottage and Agro based level.
- Promote marketing opportunities and facilitate the marketing process.
- Liaise with stakeholders in agricultural development and encourage public, private and farming community partnership.
- Provide knowledge and skills in agricultural field to the farming community and make them to adopt improved technologies through demonstrations, field days, training, meetings, group discussions, campaigns etc.
- Provide agricultural training to the needy farmers in the field of agriculture in 161AI ranges and 5 DATCs.
- Transform 5 DATCs as agro technological parks and maintain them.
- Conduct agricultural exhibitions in 5 DATCs and selected farmers’ fields
- Take the farmers on field tour to research stations, training centers, other farmer’s field etc within the province and other parts of the country for educating them and create necessary attitudinal changes to adopt new technologies.
- Supply seeds, planting material, farm equipment, machinery, tools to the needy resettled and vulnerable farmers.
- Produce seeds and planting materials in the Government Seed Production Farm and through contract growing system.
- Establish farms and maintain in selected locations as demonstration sites and seed production units.
- Build up the capacity of the staff through regular in-service training with the reconstruction of In- Service Training Institute in Kilinochchi and recommencement of its training activities.
- Mobilize farmers as commodity based societies and support them to undertake production in commercial scale and market produce in organized manner.